Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rant Blog

Why is it that highschool is supposed to be this big preparation before the 'real world' and the second we graduate majority of kids have no clue what to do or do not have the life skills to become what they aspire to be? In highschool we are still nagged at to get homework in on time and to do assignment a certain way or read and copy from a textbook. My question being how is that in any way going to help you in the real world? Learning the square root of two hundred and forty-five or the life cycle of a plant isnt going to get you a job or make you enjoyable to have a conversation with. Being in my final year myself I still feel very young.Every teacher still tells me when my homework is due and sends anyone to a lunch homework club if its not completed on time. At my school we have a no zero policy so for four years of our education we never have the option of getting absolutley no marks. But what about the students that go of to university right away? In university if you dont hand something in you simply do not get a mark and move on to the next assignment. If all of us are so used to a routine of being nagged and having no worry of not being able to get a mark the shock of university could be overwhelming. In my senior year ive reflected over the past four years and try to remember things that ive learned. I dont remember any test I have ever wrote or any notes I have taken but what I do remember are the class discussions and debates about politics , humanity issues , laws and what is going on in our world today. Those things I feel like give a better grasp on the world than reading a text book and writing a test. Im not saying that you dont need to do that everyone needs to know basics. Alot of the time in classes though I find myself asking "when will I ever use this?". Ideally I would like to see the education system progress into more humanities course and more public world issues being discussed. Even from leadership I have learned life qualities and it has opened my heart to helping the world rather than spending all my time studying for six years studying and writing high level exams I wanna go out and explore the world and meet people learn new concepts. That is what the world is about not equations and historics. You can come out of university and have trouble finding a job because you have no social aspect about you. Many students flunk out first year because they cant handle the self responsibility of post secondary education. Who is to blame for all of this? Highschool! I am just hoping when my generation is having children and they are starting their path of highschool that the system has realized that reading a text book isnt everything to life and that everyone needs to be aware of what is happening in society today and have a good background knowledge. I want my children to have a passion for school unlike I did and I think that is very possible with a few simple tweeks and some fine tuning.

No comments:

Post a Comment